Saturday, December 13, 2014

Travelogue: Brisbane, Australia

Koalas, Kangaroos and CityCats, O my!

            The gusty wind tore at the snaps surrounding my ponytail, threatening to break the hat free from the tangles of my blond hair.  Stray strands of hair whipped my face from my eyes to my neck. Although assaulted by sprays of salt-water I was having the time of my life as I stood at the front of the CityCat embracing the bumpy ride along the Brisbane River.  I had been living away from the water’s edge for far too long. 
            All too soon it was over and we disembarked from the boat after an exhilarating ride.  No wonder it is the preferred method of travel for everyone, both tourists and locals alike! *
            A visit to Australia is not complete without seeing animals exclusively found Down Under and what better place to see them then the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary?  We spent a wonderful afternoon gawking at kangaroos, emus and other wildlife and enjoyed the Bird of Prey Free Flight Show **. The time sped by until the moment we entered the line for the koala photo-op. My husband insisted that it was too risky for his pregnant wife to cuddle a koala.   At his revelation all time seemed to stop.  
 I stood on the sidelines shocked that his archaic manner prevented me from savoring the most unique of Australian experiences.  I wanted to be able to share the experience with our child someday.  Instead, that would be left for him to describe.  Furthermore, a more heavily pregnant woman in front of us didn’t have to succumb to the same treatment.  Life is unfair I pouted for most of the rest of the afternoon.  The picture turned out great but I didn’t care. 
            Luckily, my woeful state did not last long and I bounced back in enough time to appreciate the long walks through the suburbs of charming Brisbane as we compared our quiet, contemplative, time there (at a spiritual retreat center) to the perpetual busyness of the bustling Chinese city of our residence.  I treasured the gorgeous late summer surroundings of the retreat center and could never forget the plumeria trees reminding me at every turn of my roots in Hawaii.  An international vacation I will never fail to remember. 



Sources:
* http://www.brisbane-australia.com/brisbane-city-cats.html

** http://www.koala.net/daily-encounters.html

No comments:

Post a Comment